Packing for a holiday can be confusing especially if you have never been to a certain place before. Money, passport, clothes, toiletries and air tickets are just the beginning. People who travel a lot have had the experience of not packing things they wish they had and packing things they never needed. The best way to take everything you need is to make a list and check off the items when they are put into the luggage. The top ten things people forget to take on holiday are:
1. A small first aid kit with antibiotic ointment, bandages, disinfectant and pain killers. When you are walking through a cathedral and scrape your leg or foot, you need to take care of it immediately. In the excitement of travel, people tend to think minor scrapes don’t matter and will heal. This can lead to serious infection that could ruin the holiday and become expensive. A first aid kit can be very small and items replaced if you are travelling in a city. For camping or travelling in rural areas a more comprehensive first aid kit is needed. It could contain medications for infections and diarrhea.
2. Clothing is something no one forgets to take, but there are some outfits they don’t realize they may need. Appropriate clothing is necessary for visiting most cathedrals and some government buildings. When packing for a holiday people usually think about being comfortable and taking as little as possible especially if they are going to a warm climate.
3. Some restaurants and night clubs expect visitors to wear a certain standard of clothing. Sandals may be fine for the whole holiday except when you want to go out at night. People often forget dressy clothing for evenings.
4. Adapters for different electrical currents are often forgotten when people travel outside their own country. To charge a camcorder or camera, you will need an adapter to either 110 or 220 voltage.
5. An extra pair of glasses or contact lenses are often forgotten when people travel. Sunglasses are packed, but if your glasses break or you lose a contact lens, you will be in trouble if you don’t have a spare handy. You may not be able to replace the broken or lost pair until you get home, so a spare will be essential for the rest of your holiday.
6. A money belt for money and passports is the safest way to carry them and usually forgotten. Most people put their money and passports in their hand luggage or an over the shoulder pouch. Money belts are worn under the clothing and are flat. They don’t hold much, but they hold the most important things.
7. Many people forget to call their credit card company and tell them they are travelling.
8. The mobile phone charger is often forgotten because it is not kept with the mobile phone.
9. A good hat for a holiday to southern climes where the sun is more direct than northern places is essential. Bringing a good hat from home is better than buying something cheap at your destination.
10. Antibacterial gel is a small item that often gets overlooked. It is very important for travel because washing with soap and water may not always be convenient. If you decide to eat a snack while gazing at the pyramids in Egypt, you should sanitize your hands first. This will help you avoid spending precious time being sick on your much awaited holiday.
Every time you travel whether it is for a weekend at a local B&B or to another continent, make a list of what you took with you and what you wish you had taken. Keep the list in your suitcase or hand luggage, so the next time you travel, it will be waiting to make sure you don’t forget anything important again.